Philosophy of Midwifery
My goal is to provide a safe and healthy birth experience for a family that is well prepared.
Philosophy of Birthing Process
There are a lot of preconceived ideas, fears, and “old wives tales” surrounding pregnancy and birth. My philosophy is that God created the human body and the process of reproduction to work naturally. Birth needs to be treated as a joyous life experience instead of as a disease. My job as a midwife is to work with and help the expectant family to be as healthy as possible – physically, mentally and nutritionally – and to give them the freedom to experience birth in a safe manner that is most suitable for them.
Every family is unique, and therefore requires respect for their unique choices. I encourage them to read and make informed choices about their birth plan. God provides a number of maternal instincts for the birth, and as women, our bodies know what to do. It is important to listen to what our bodies are telling us, and work with the process, being confident in our inner strength.
As a licensed midwife, I have emergency drugs to be used as needed. I carry oxygen, resuscitation equipment, IV therapy supplies, Vitamin K, and eye propholaxis. Included in my kit is an assortment of herbal remedies that are used as needed, or desired by the mother. Some natural services we offer include:
- Prenatal conditions
- Nourishing and strengthening the body in preparation for birth
- Helping to promote relaxation in labor
- Providing strength and energy for birth
- Assistance with postpartum problems such as hemorrhage, shock, or retained placenta
- The use of hot, wet herbal compresses on the perineum just before birth aid in stretching. This technique is also very comforting. Some women find aromatherapy to be soothing and helpful.
Betty Griffith-Aime, LDM
Licensed Direct Entry Midwife
7745 Sunnyside Rd. SE
Salem, OR 97306
(503) 362-2791 office, (503) 559-2681 cell